Friday, March 13, 2009

Disturbing Interests

So the previous blog I wrote was my last grito(yell)about the whole situation. I'm okay now. So to more interesting things.

Like serial killers.

I have a very healthy obsession with serial killers. I say healthy because I don't have posters of them or write songs glamorizing their exploits. I just read about them whenever the mood strikes.

Take Ed Gein for example. His is an interesting case. Mr. Gein was a closeted homosexual who was attached to his abusive mother. So attached that he kept her body above ground after she died Norman Bates style. He was the kind of guy people trusted but didn't really befriend. He babysat many local children. But by night Eddie would kill or dig up freshly dead women and do things to their bodies. For example, he had cups fashioned from women's breasts, a window shade pull made from women's nipples, bed posts made from skulls, just some really sick shit. He even made himself a vagina to wear out of multiple dead women. He was inspiration for the characters of Norman Bates, Patrick Bateman and Buffalo Bill. This man dealt with systematic abuse from his mother and from bullies when he was younger which made him into the future monster and notorious killer.


There is also of course Jeffry Dahmer who had a normal childhood and had loving, caring parents. No one really knows what pushed Dahmer over the edge, but instead gave a new insight into serial killers: some aren't made, some are just born. Jeffrey was a lonely soul who felt like an outsider, probably due to his homosexuality. He hated being alone so much that after he would be with a lover, when they would try to leave to go home he would panic, and kill them. He then of course ate them to keep them closer to him. He truly is a sympathetic character when you read more of his story. It's not that he deserves sympathy for his actions, but more that he just couldn't find a cure to his sick obsession. He was a sick man who never learned to live a normal life.

I can go on and on very creepily on all the serial killers I have learned about and all the books I have read on the subject (American Psycho is a must read!) but I don't want to get into the serial killers too much. I want to talk about why I am so interested. I just think it is fascinating to try and understand how a humans psyche can manifest itself into believing that urges can only be quenched by their actions. Grant it, we all have urges. I have a strong nagging urge right now to beat the shit out of a dumb bitch. I'm not going to do it. I have urges to do drugs again from time to time. Not going to go there. We ALL have urges to do despicable things such as lie, cheat, steal, hate, masturbate (not really despicable, but if in public...), just many many things. But we have this off/on switch that WE can control. Some people just cannot. That is what interests me. The mind of the degenerate. What makes people want to be bad people, or why do they not feel the same moral obligation we all feel.

I may never know the answers, or do I ever want to go into psycho therapy to find the answers, but it's just something I look into from time to time.

What makes a sociopath click?
What motivates a liar to lie?
What makes a shoplifter steal?
What creates promiscuity?

You can say social and outside factors push these people to their limits but sometimes there are no reasons. That is what is scary sometimes. They walk among us. They live with us. They eat like we do. They are our family and friends, lovers and coworkers. We trust them. We are the unknowing and willing prey.

Freaky.

Mara

By the way Dexter is an amazing show. It is probably one of the more insightful shows out there about sociopathic behavior. What also helps the show is that Michael C. Hall is undeniably sexy as the vigilante serial killer everyone cheers for. I'd fuck him. Anyway, it is a must see show. The script writing is excellent, the acting is actually quite good, and the premise is actually believable. I can go into a thorough review but I have to finish season 2 and 3 first.

I leave you with that. I'll give my Dexter review later

No comments: