Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In with the old!

It is to no surprise to anyone who knows me, I love thrift stores. I love vintage clothes.

My love for vintage pieces started when I was in high school. We didn't have much money, and I hated going clothes shopping with my mother. It always ended up with me wanting things my mother couldn't afford, her buying some things for me, giving me an evil eye at the checkout, then spent the ride home listening to how ungrateful a child I was. The whole time I never really said a word and wanted to cry during the experience because I felt so guilty wanting clothes in the first place. So I started saving my allowances and headed to the thrift shop to buy clothes. It was easy in the 90's! GRUNGE! flannels, work pants, t-shirts, grandpa cardi's. I fit in somewhere, thankfully, and didn't look poor, just "alternative". It wasn't an obsession as much as a way to survive the judgemental eyes of other teens.

When I got my first job after high school I didn't spend as much time shopping thrift. I could actually afford the things I wanted. It wasn't until my mid twenties that I discovered thrift again. It started easy...a purse here, some boots there. Before you know it, I was being too literal and looking like Pat Benetar. OK, that's a lil' harsh on myself but you get what I'm saying. But something happened to me. Something clicked.

Vintage shopping is akin to the thrill of the hunt. It's all about acquiring that "Find". You get this feeling when you enter the shop, "this is the place where I'll find 'it'". You never know what "it" is but you know when you see "it". You search through the racks, thumbing hanger by hanger, sifting through boxes, feeling ever so close to copping that perfect vintage piece. Sometimes you do find what you didn't know you were looking for. Many times you are left unfulfilled, ready to embark on another trip some other day.

I love the whole process.

So, I figure, why not capitalize on my passion? I plan on opening an Etsy shop selling all things vintage at first. The capital from the shop will then help pay for supplies into other ventures: Jewelry making, restyling clothing, refurbish/stylizing furniture. I even got myself a partner in this venture to help pay for upstart costs. It has me very much excited. I already made financial spread sheets, bought our first inventory, and we decided on the shop's name: Maraley and Mom Jeans!

We are both very excited to see what we can make of this shop and what we both can create. I'm just happy to find a partner!

Camaraderie is found in the strangest places!

so coming within the next few weeks will be Jeremy's and my Etsy shop. We are excited to bring you our best vintage finds and our original designs. Let the fun begin!

No comments: